Hamilton Society of Columbia University

Saturday, October 07, 2006

Testimonial: Navy Captain (ret) Ted Graske, Columbia College 59

HERITAGE – Navy Captain (ret) Ted Graske, Columbia College 59

Upon entering Columbia College, I was faced with several dilemmas. First, I really did not have a clue as to what I wanted to do after college, but I knew I just didn't want to sit at a desk and “run numbers” in a faceless corporation on Wall Street. Second, although I was very interested in broadening myself through a liberal arts education, I did not just want to read books and write papers. I wanted something other than a typical college experience. ROTC looked like it had potential to meet these needs.
In retrospect, the Columbia Liberal Arts curriculum provided me with lifelong appreciation of the arts, humanities and social sciences. ROTC provided experience in leading others and developing self-confidence in handling stressful situations. I learned how to be influential in a group. Some of the ROTC course work, such as celestial navigation proved just as difficult and challenging as my regular courses but left me with concrete skills. The focus on core values of honor, integrity, commitment and courage etc. helped prepare me for the ethical ambiguities that you face in later life. It also turned out to be heaps of fun. The summer training and mid-semester training exercises provided unique, stimulating and sometimes humorous experiences. I made lifelong friendships.
ROTC is not for everyone. It is extra work to slog up to Fordham or Manhattan to participate in the program. However, if you want a challenging, rewarding and out of the ordinary college life, I highly recommend you check out ROTC.

Ted Graske, Captain, USNR (Ret)

Columbia College 1959

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home