Hamilton Society of Columbia University

Saturday, October 07, 2006

Testimonial: Erik Swabb, Columbia College 02, former Marine infantry lieutenant

CONTEMPORARY – Erik Swabb, Columbia College 02, former Marine infantry lieutenant, currently attending Harvard Law School

I first considered military service back in 2000 when there was no veteran presence on campus and no ROTC advocacy. I researched Marine officer opportunities online and attended Officer Candidates School through a 10-week summer program in 2001. It was the equivalent of a paid internship where students can see if they like military life without having to commit to serve. For me, it was a great option because I had doubts about military service. I thought about it relatively late in college and I did not know anyone currently in the military. I was worried about whether I would fit in coming from a liberal, non-military background. I was also concerned that I was not a good athlete. After finishing my 3.5 year tour, I can easily say it was a critical formative experience in my life.

The Marine Corps provided incredible leadership experience, immense responsibility, once-in-a-life opportunities, and exposure to different types of people. As a young officer, the entire time in the military consists of leadership training, but one probably receives close to a year of formal schooling. A young lieutenant is constantly learning new ways of motivating and challenging people. As for responsibility, I would challenge anyone to name an occupation where a 22-year old could be in charge of up to 40 lives, millions of dollars of equipment, and preparing people for an incredibly stressful job. It is no coincidence that so many top executives served in the military. I served as an infantry officer, which as the most physically challenging specialty in the military means that no student should worry about not being an athlete as long as he or she is motivated enough to train. I deployed to Iraq for seven months. It was an experience of a lifetime being a part of history (the battle of Fallujah in Nov ’04) and making history (the first elections in Iraq in Jan ’05). Again, the military offered an unparalleled opportunity. Finally, I was grateful for meeting some truly special people while serving. From every imaginable hometown and socio-economic background, people join the military. I found a common bond that I have never seen among such different people: the willingness to sacrifice for something greater than oneself: be it one’s buddy, platoon, or country. It was humbling to work with such people.

In the end, the military is not for everyone: it is hierarchical, it is demanding on families, and it is difficult to enjoy unless you like “military stuff.” However, if you think you would like it, the military is not an opportunity to pass up. I think of my military service as both a foundation for the rest of my life and a defining accomplishment.

Erik Swabb

Columbia College 2002

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home